With the arrival of fall, the weather may begin to cool but Londonderry begins to heat up! While there’s not much time before the cold takes over, there’s still plenty to do and many people to do it with! Here’s our favorite top ten things to do here in Londonderry during the fall. But hurry, some will be gone before you know it!
1. Pick a pumpkin. Visit one of Londonderry’s four farms to find the biggest, orangest, fanciest, or funniest pumpkin you can imagine. Take it home, carve it, paint it, bake it, roast the seeds, or display it as is, the choice is yours!
2. Traverse a trail. With miles of trails in Londonderry, fall is one of the most beautiful times to hike, bike, walk or run. Surrounded by the ever-changing leaves, take a moment to enjoy the view and crisp, fall air. Trail locations include the Musquash Conservation Area, Kendall Pond, and Adams Pond.
3. Have a haunted time. Each year, the Londonderry High School Drama Club hosts the Haunted Woods, a ghoulish time for all ages. Typically held at the high school ropes courts for three nights the week before Halloween, the Haunted Woods is a perfect chance to dress in costume and get the “willies”.
4. Appreciate the arts. The Londonderry Arts Council hosts their fall Art in Action at numerous locations during early November. Watch as artists sculpt, paint, sketch, and more during this semi-annual event.
5. Maneuver a maze. Get lost in a dozen-plus acre corn maze at Elwood Orchards. Blind alleys, dead ends and endless loops will keep you guessing for hours with family and friends. Come during the day or grab a flashlight and hit the maze at night during the month of October!
6. Pluck a peck. With acres upon acres of apple trees, four Londonderry farms are the perfect place to grab your favorite apples. Snack while you pick and take home a peck or two; there’s nothing better than apple pie, caramel apples, and other delicious treats made from locally grown apples!
7. Bat, bounce, or boot a ball. From soccer and basketball, to baseball and football, there’s a number of fall ball activities going on in Londonderry! Whether you join a rec team or grab a group of friends, Londonderry has plenty of fields and courts to play on.
8. Frolic through the foliage. Londonderry is home to one of the area’s best scenic byways. Called Apple Way by locals, the drive takes visitors past apple orchards, fields, historic landmarks, old farmhouses, and more. And what a fantastic time to take the drive, when the leaves have changed their brilliant colors and the farms are alive with the hustle and bustle of fall.
9. Trick or Treat with the terrifying. Held each year, RE/MAX 1st Choice hosts their Trick or Treat on Main Street. This wonderful event allows little ones looking for some extra or safer trick or treating times to visit local businesses and gather treats.
10. Study fire safety. Each October, the Londonderry Fire Department Central Station invites children and adults of all ages to attend the Fire Station Open House. The event provides opportunity to learn more about fire safety, experience a “smoke room”, shoot a real fire hose, and meet firemen.