The first thing most of us do in the morning is check our e-mail. When I did with my coffee and chocolate chips by my side, the first e-mail I opened was from Bart. Buon Natele! Was what I saw.
Now I was intrigued. I went to google, oh I guess the “hip” way to say it would be “I googled it” and I learned it is the Italian way of saying Merry Christmas! Already my day and now maybe yours too, started with a “Pearl of Wisdom”. What a beautiful way to say Merry Christmas. The site also told me many things about Christmas that I didn’t realize. “Not only did Christmas originate in Italy, but it was also the birthplace of the first Christmas carol.” That was back in the thirteenth-century. How great is that! I had no idea.
I also found that there is a Christmas CD called Buon Natale: The Christmas Album. I’ve never heard of it before, but I think I’m going to order it on line. It’s the cutest cover, 3 young men in suits; one has hair like my dad’s that I always wished I had! Dad use to always tell me that when I turned 13 he believed my hair would change and it would begin to grow thick, wavy and black like his. I waited and waited and waited.
Back to Buon Natale! Last week I said that we would have our own 25 days to Christmas count down of gift ideas that might help you. Day One was devoted to the new Hudson Grill, many of you e-mailed me that you had stopped in. Thank You, from me, Laura and Roger, too! My friend Donna and her friend Maria had a lovely breakfast there yesterday.
2. A couple weeks ago I told you about Tiskelia Wellness. Well I went back for that massage. Oh MY! When it was over I said something like “That was the BEST massage I have ever had!” and it really was. Remember I told you this was part of the FREE Bodywork Sampler Package they are offering. Still can’t believe the “free” word. I have never been so relaxed in my entire life. I know it might sound corny but I just feel more peaceful when I walk through Tiskelia Wellness’s door. While I was there I bought a $39 1 hour Initial Massage for Meredith. She went right before she headed back to college. I can’t think of a better gift this Holiday season than a gift certificate for an hour of “peace” and time to relax. 603 824-6121
3. I’m hoping this one will help you find a special gift for that young reader in your home. I also full hardly believe that I am sharing with you a future Author that will go on to write many books that we will all want to buy and read in the future.
I met Emily, by chance, when I was subbing one day. I was talking to another teacher about my On The Road With Sherry stories, and he said “Do you know that we have a published author sitting right here in this study?” He called me over and introduced me to Emily K. Murphy, who is a Junior. Emily is a Period Fiction Writer. She published her first book in 2012. The title is Kissimee’s Newport: 1894. Emily was inspired to write the story when she was on a trip to the Newport Mansions with her family.
The story is about a young girl Kissimee Parr who would summer in Newport. Kissimee’s family was very, very proper, but Kissimee just wanted to have fun and enjoy her summer. The story is about her adventures. How great is this. Her book is now being sold in the Newport Mansions gift stores and you can find it on Amazon, too. Go to Emily’s site www.emilykmurphy.com you can also order books there and you can learn more about the author too.
4. Coffeeberries, This is one of my favorite places in the world. How could it not be! Sometimes I feel guilty, buying just a cup of coffee and sitting and “Visiting” for as long as I want with whoever I want. This is the time of year that nudges us to reconnect with many friends we’ve lost touch with. Coffeeberries is the perfect place to meet. Also don’t forget that if you need teacher’s gifts, stocking stuffers, gifts for friends and neighbors check Coffeeberries first. They also have Gift Certificates too. Here’s a picture of the beautiful mug I have my eye on. It’s in the middle of the top row and Pink.
Coffeeberries is also a great place to meet about business things you might have going on. This week Dick Lutz and I talked about Visit Londonderry, Welcome Wagon and what he does as an agent for the New York Life Insurance Company. Dick and I quickly found out that we had both been teachers early on in our careers. I so wish John and I had met Dick many years ago. He explained to me what New York Life does to help families and businesses. Life insurance is not like it used to be, really it’s much better. Dick told me how young families who begin a policy when their children are young can also use their policy to pay for college and other things they might need along the way. I know I’m not going to get everything right about insurance, but I do know that if you are thinking about up-dating a policy you have or beginning a new one, I would talk to Dick first.
4. Richard Lutz. When we met, I had no intention of writing about him here in our story, but as we talked I decided I wanted to tell you about him. Dick told me about a couple he met with, and after reviewing everything they already had in place he looked at them and said “you are doing everything you need to be doing already”. He didn’t try to sell them just for the purpose of making a commission. I really liked that. For many of us this is all very confusing. And we worry about being taken advantage of. First Impressions and first conversations are telling. I could tell Dick is an honest, sincere good man, he’s an agent I would feel comfortable working and again I wish we had. Here’s his number 603 222 2546, give him a call.
5. John Hardiman, Manager at Sports Authority on South Willow Street, Manchester. If the hustle and bustle of the holiday is making you a little nutty, here’s what happened to me. Mackensie and I often shop at Sports Authority for so many of her Basketball things. A few weeks back we stopped in to buy a new pair of sweatpants. When we got home and she tried them on, they just didn’t look the way she thought they would, so of course now I need to bring them back. Finally a couple weeks later I make it back to Sports Authority. Another of Course, I can’t find the receipt. A nice girl at the register explains to me that without the receipt I will only get back the sale price which is now $19 instead of the price I paid $39. I ask to see the manager. John Hardiman once again comes to my rescue. I didn’t know his name before, but through the year we have asked for his help/advise more than once.
John felt bad too, but he took the time to explain to me that there was another way to get the receipt. I just had to call a number and they would e-mail the receipt directly to him. I doubted it would work, but within minutes John was right. Instead of leaving with only a small part of the money I spent, I was credited the entire amount. How Nice Was That! It was my fault completely but John took the time to make a difference. I’m still a little shocked it worked; I thanked John and left the store with my only my credit I thought.
Well this picture was taken a week later. I was so excited about getting all the money back that somehow I walked out of the store again with the same pair of sweat pants I had just returned in the bag! I found the bag a few days later in the back of my car! Dear Goodness.
Third trip to Sports Authority, here I am returning the pants to John. He thanked me for being honest. Say Hi to John when you go in, I promise he can answer any questions you have and he’s patient with people like me and kind too! Just an example of what this hurried season can do to us.
I guess to end this week. Again Buon Natale and I guess maybe I need to slow down and remember the reason for the season.
With A Grateful Heart Sherry<3.
The amazing thing about being part of Visit Londonderry is that I never know exactly where a week will lead. Even though I have lived here since the 60′s, grew up at Kendalwood Condos, taught at the High School, and raised my family here, each day I learn something special about our community. One thing is for sure, Londonderry is the best place to Live, Work and Play! Each week I will share with you some of the amazing businesses and things I have learned about Londonderry.
Sherry is an account manager for the Londonderry Commerce and Visitors Center. You can follow her at Twitter.com/Sherry_CVC
You can visit the Londonderry Commerce and Visitors Center, where “Business is Good. Life is Better!”