A review of what rules will be followed in Londonderry’s first ever Deliberative Session. Londonderry ended Town Meeting last year after 289 years. The new form of government sends the articles to the Ballot. The voters then make the final vote in the voting booth on March 13th 2012.
- Monday February 6th at 7pm
- LHS Cafe
Town Attorney. Bart Mayer reviews what you can and can not do at deliberative session. Town Moderator John Michels indicates how he will run the meeting.
Some information you will get from the video
- If Union Contracts are amended “it constitutes rejection” even so they go to the ballot to be voted on March 13th.
- Secret ballot, 5 signatures must be submitted to the moderator requesting a paper ballot.
- You can also do a secret ballot before the moderator moves on to the next question 7 people are required.
- It is a majority rule on amendments, “If three people show up 2-1 wins an amendment.
- The Operating Budget can be increased or decreased by those that attend.
- You will only get two numbers to vote on in the voting booth. Deliberative recommended budget or a default budget.
- If a line item is zeroed out, no funds can be expended on that line item.
- Attorney Mayer, “Even though zeroing out a line item is destructive it can be done.”
- 17 Articles will be reviewed on Monday night and all will be moved to the ballot.
- “People should show up at the meeting, there is a cause and affect of what people are voting on.” Chairman O’keefe
- The Chairman also said, “I have a feeling that a number of people will be there to “tweek” the Cable fund article for $200,000″
- Amendments are preferred in writing, be be sure that they are accurate.
- Items in Articles prescribed by law can not be amended.
- The meeting is not the Town Councils meeting it is the legislative body of Londonderry’s meeting, run by the town moderator.
“It should be understood, deliberative meeting is important, we need to be attending since anything can be amended.” Town Attorney Bart Mayer said in his final statement.
The 2012 Deliberative Session of the Londonderry Budgetary Town Meeting will be held on Monday, February 6, 2012 beginning at 7 PM at the Londonderry High School Cafeteria. All warrant articles shall be acted upon at that time for placement on the Town Meeting Official Ballot.